Memoirs of a Nursing Student

Saturday, November 11, 2006

New Experiences, New Thoughts

Hello, Everyone! Life has been pretty been pretty busy around here. Nothing new, just a lot of the same old thing. Yesterday was my last day at Western Psychiatric Institute and Clinic, the hospital at which I've been doing my psych rotation. We now go to an outpatient resource center for people with mental illnesses. We are going to observe group therapies and other activities that help people develop the skills they need to function in life with their illnesses. It will be interesting. This whole rotation has been a great learning experience. I am so glad that we've had the opportunity to observe and interact with the patients and staff in this field for these seven weeks.

I have to admit I leave feeling a sense of hopelessness for the patients I interacted with. They have illnesses that will be with them forever, and will only be managable if they comply with their drug regimens. And as far as I could tell, most of the patients will not be able to once they leave the hospital, whether they lack the money, the support system, or an understanding of the importance of staying on their medications. Many of the patients are homeless and jobless because their illnesses disable them. I learned that 1/3 of the mentally ill population are people with schizophrenia, and 50% of those with schizophrenia are homeless. And after talking with the patients, I truly understand how this could be the case, especially if they lack the familial support that is so necessary for them to thrive. God is giving me much to think about. So many glimpses into others lives. So many opportunities to see the advantages that I have in life. I only hope that I use these opportunities wisely. It would be so easy to move on from this experience viewing it simply as a part of my nursing education. I pray that God will use it to shape my thoughts and, especially, my actions.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to see you are blogging again.

11:08 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home