Memoirs of a Nursing Student

Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Real Nurses Give Shots


Tomorrow I get to perfect my IM injection skills. Duquesne has an annual health fair, and apparently the nursing students always get to administer flu shots to faculty and students. I have to admit that I have never actually given an IM injection before. I've given subcutaneous injections, but those needles are so short, and the patients are usually diabetic, so they don't think twice about injections anymore. Tomorrow I will be using a 1 inch needle, and poking people who are probably going to be more afriad than I am. I know in the future I will be doing much more "daring" things as a nurse, but the first time is always a little frightening. The hardest part is not letting the patient see the fear. I'm glad, at least, that I'm going to be on the giving end of the needle. I'm not sure how I would react to a shaky, rookie nurse coming at me with a one inch needle in hand.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You should wear one of those old-school hockey masks tomorrow. You know, the white plastic kind with the eyes and the mouth cut out. That way when you come at them with a needle in your hand they won't be able to see the fear on your face.

10:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're gonna do great. Make sure you let us all know how it goes!

8:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I guarentee you by the end of the day you won't think twice about it ... you'll be fine.

8:44 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home