Memoirs of a Nursing Student

Thursday, October 05, 2006

I'm a Nerd.


I'm realizing just how much of a nerd I am these days. My favorite subjects have been anything to do with science, especially physiology. I can handle the nursing process, care plans, technologies, etc. But when it comes to learning about oxygenation, fluid and electrolyte balance, respiration, and the like, I get really into it. I am actually very excited to start pathophysiology in a couple of weeks. I can't wait to find out exactly why the body acts the way it does when its sick. I love knowing how our bodies work, what causes them to malfunction, and what makes them thrive. God really is a great engineer. We take it for granted that we are breathing regularly, our hearts are beating, and our limbs are moving. It seems so "normal", but it's a complex system we've got. I was never such a science nerd before, hence the reason I had to cram all of my science related prerequisites in right before this program. But I'm glad I've discovered this profession, and its involvement in these subjects.

Anyway, today at the hospital was a busy one. I had a 59 year old male, which initially caused me great anxiety, just because up until this point I've only had females over 80 years old. But everything went fine. He was in for sepsis, which is a systemic infection. He got the infection through a dialysis catheter that was put in 6 years ago, and was supposed to be temporary. Apparently he suffered from acute renal failure those 6 years ago, and had to go through dialysis for 3 months. After those three months were up, he never had his subclavian catheter removed, and is only back now because of this serious infection. The surgeon removed the catheter right there in the patient's room, so I got to stand in and watch. Doc had a tough time getting it out because connective tissue had grown around and attached to the catheter, so he had to spend a good chunk of time scraping the tissue off. It was very interesting to watch.

So much more happened, but I won't bore everyone with more details. But I wanted to at least share some of what I experienced today!

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're right...you are definitely into this nursing. Are you going to talk like this when the family gets together?...I guess that's what nerds do ! ! (Really I'm so glad to hear you enjoying this so much!)

5:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, Amy!!! I'm applaud your dedication and am happy for you as you discover all that nursing has to offer. You will make a great nurse and what fun you will have when you get together with Drew (and Marie) to share experiences.

6:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whatever you've always been nerdy :)
JK happy that you are so interested in your field and fascinated with the inner workings of the body...let me know about all the nutrition and food stuff you learn about!

7:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to have you a member of this nerd/science/nursing club. I love it all too! Physiology is my favorite and,it always points me to our Creator God

11:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nerd.

6:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

NERDS UNITE!

Love, your bio major pal

6:17 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home